The official name of the town is Faro Jose Ignacio, located 40 kilometers from Punta del Este, at kilometer 182 of Route No. 10, for the way Sainz E. Martinez.
The traveler finds this paradisiacal and privileged corner of the Uruguayan Atlantic coast: the resort of Jose Ignacio.
It is a small peninsula into the sea through its two kilometers long and 800 meters wide.
It is among the Garzón and José Ignacio lagoons.
The lighthouse was built in 1877, it is a symbol of the place, and José Ignacio owes its name to a settler who lived in the area at the time of the Spanish conquest.