Carmelo is a city located in the department of Colonia, in the southwest of Uruguay.
It was founded in 1816 and became an important commercial center due to its location on the banks of the Río de la Plata and its proximity to Buenos Aires.
During the Great War (1839-1851) it played an important role as a center of military operations.
Currently, Carmelo is a tourist city with a beautiful historic center and old buildings such as the Church of the Immaculate Conception and the Casa de Nacarello.
The city also has wine cellars, beaches on the river, the Carmel swing bridge and several options for rural tourism.
See also information on Buenos Aires.