Estás en Uruguay  Uruguayan center  Melo 

History of Melo

Before the founding of the Guardia de Melo, the territories were populated by original indigenous tribes, the most important of the so-called arachanes. They occupied the land from the northeast and east from the Cuchilla de Haedo to Laguna Merin.

On 27 June 1795 the Viceroy of Rio de la Plata, Pedro de Melo of Portugal and Villena, requested the foundation of a town on the banks of the Taquari river. The official of the Spanish crown Agustin de la Rosa, interpreting the local hydrography, set the village on the banks of the stream of convents. Two years later, in 1797, the first parish of Our Lady of Pilar and San Rafael, today cathedral, seat of the Diocese of Melo and Thirty-Three is installed.

Given its proximity to the borders of the Portuguese colonies in Brazil, the "Villa de Melo" as called originalmente- was invaded by the Portuguese in 1801, in 1811 and 1816. In that period the villa is taken by the Portuguese, It is in 1811 when the Portuguese General Diego de Souza, Governor of Rio Grande, provides for the seizure and occupation of the town that becomes dependent on the government of Portugal. On 2 April 1816 the department of Cerro Largo, as a political and territorial jurisdiction, being in 1824 when the population of Villa de Melo, accepts and respects the Imperial Constitution of Portugal, Brazil and Algarve is created.

On November 20, 1827, Cerro Largo enters the national army of the United Provinces of the Río de la Plata under General Juan Antonio Lavalleja, dislodging the Brazilians of Villa. Finally, with the definitive independence of the Uruguayan State, Melo was officially declared the capital of the department.

On 25 July 1830, the population of the "Villa de Melo" solemnly swear their adherence to the Constitution of the Republic of Uruguay novel. The last years of the nineteenth century favor its development. The centennial of its founding in 1895, he was awarded the rank of city, assuming the role of capital of the department or Jurisdiction Policy Cerro Largo.

On 14 June 1967 the thermometer low to -11.0 ° C, this being the lowest temperature recorded in the country.

Source: Wikipedia


Places to visit in Melo


Tourism notes in
Artigas
Canelones
Durazno
Florida
Las Piedras
Libertad
Melo
Minas de Corrales
Montevideo
Pando
Paso de los Toros
Rivera
San Carlos
San Gregorio de Polanco
Santa Lucia
Tacuarembo
Treinta y Tres
Trinidad
365uruguay.com
La guía online de Uruguay los 365 días del año
www.365uruguay.com
Seguinos en:
Términos y condiciones de uso  |  Política de privacidad