Colonia del Sacramento is a Uruguayan city located on the coast of the Río de la Plata, in the department of Colonia.
It was founded by the Portuguese in the year 1680 and became an important commercial port during the colonial era.
In 1777, the city was annexed by the Spanish and became part of the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata. In 1828, after the independence of Uruguay, it became part of the new country.
Colonia del Sacramento is known for its historic quarter, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1995. The historic quarter preserves its Portuguese and Spanish colonial architecture, with cobbled streets, walls, and fortifications.
In addition, the city has beaches, wineries, museums and a wide gastronomic offer.
The most common way to get to Colonia del Sacramento is by ferry from Buenos Aires, Argentina. It can also be accessed by road from Montevideo or by plane from the Carrasco International Airport.
See more about the history of Colonia del Sacramento