Until the early twentieth century the coastal area of Canelones was a desert of shifting dunes and marshes, which were not suitable for agriculture and land considered of little value.
In the 1870s, family groups began conducting summer camps in the Santa Rosa (currently the Mansa Beach Atlantis).
At that time, they traveled in carts that made housing and transporting all kinds of groceries (including chickens and dairy cows) for 3 months stay.
In 1908, efforts began fixing the dunes by various visionaries and many idealists. maritime pines were used, we brought from Galicia, Portugal and southern France, eucalyptus and acacias; those who had planted and replanted countless times.
See more about the history of Cuchilla Alta
See also information on Canelones.